Monday, August 27, 2007

Basketball




Santi has been playing basketball and soccer on Saturdays as part of a inter-departmental league that HCJB puts together every summer. His department, Information Systems, has a team and they have been trying to keep up in both soccer and basketball.

In Latin America, soccer, of course, is the preferred sport, but they are managing to hold their own in both sports. A couple of weeks ago they were eliminated in the soccer part of the tournament, but they are still going strong in basketball. This past Saturday was one of the championship games and they won 32 - 17 against the Medical Services team from HCJB's hospital! So we're looking forward to a few more games before the summer season is over. Maybe they will even win the championship in basketball.

The tournament this year has been played at a very old school in the center part of Quito. It's an all boys high school called La Mejia and Santi says that there's approx 7,000 students. I'm amazed by the very old buildings which you can see in the photos.

I guess it's pretty obvious in one of photos that Emily our dog, seems to be more interested in the game than I am! I think she's their official mascot now!

And finally, I took the last photo while sitting on my perch on the stairs - it is of the spires of one of the famous Catholic churches in Quito - called La Basilica. It is known for it's tall towers where visitors can climb all the way to the top to see a great view of Quito. We actually did that a couple of years ago with some visitors who were here - I'm pretty sure I requested an oxygen tank by the time I got to the top! We were way at the top of the spire on your left.

Don't forget that you can click on any of the photos to see the image up close! The details on the church are quite interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth,
I look forward to reading your blog. I love seeing all the familiar sites. It brings back such fond memories and stirs up a lot of emotions. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. I have a request though...I can't see your belly very well in the picture of you sitting. How about a profile of Baby Boy Arteaga??!
Roni in Ohio

Anonymous said...

You stinker! Are you teasing us with a photo of you with a book in front of your belly??? :) You know how we all want to see a picture of you "with child"!

The Arteagas said...

well, you can kind of see my baby belly! I guess for now you'll just have to imagine how huge I look!