Monday, May 4, 2009

Snow in Quito?



We've been having some strange weather in Quito lately with 2 major rain storms over the weekend. But imagine my surprise to run into snow on the way home from HCJB this afternoon! It was definitely a unique scene when you are living at the equator - and if I didn't have photos to prove it, I might not even believe that there was so much snow on the ground! It was only a small section of the highway and apparently the weight of the snow took down a few power lines as well as a sign for the Case company at that section of the highway. It was interesting to say the least . . . . I just happened to have my camera with me and got a few photos of the snow.






Here are some more photos of the snow that we had on the north side of Quito today - these were in the El Comercio newspaper on-line. Click here to see the photos from El Comercio.

5 comments:

James Friesen said...

Wow! I always wondered if it EVER snowed in Quito. It sure didn't during the 8 years that we lived there.

I can't imagine how cold it must have been for the people with poor housing.

The Arteagas said...

that's the weird part - I don't remember it being that terribly cold yesterday afternoon - it must have been some weird little cold front that came through. and it wasn't city-wide, just on that stretch of 10 of August towards the north.

Lauren said...

Wow! That kind of snow practically shuts down the schools in Nashville. :)

Katrina Custer said...

WWWOOOWWW!!!! If you didn't have your camera, there's no way I would have believed you. That's nuts!

Anonymous said...

That better not happen when I come in September/October! I want my springlike climate! :)
Love,
J