Friday, December 28, 2007

Backtracking to Christmas Eve




When we think over all that has gone on the past couple of weeks, we do chuckle when we think about Christmas Eve and getting ready to go to the hospital for Nathan's birth.

We had already planned to have a quiet, stay-at-home holiday as we didn't want to plan anything major knowing that Nathan could arrive at any time now . . . so we had just planned a simple turkey and cheesy potato dinner for Christmas Eve night (eating dinner at midnight is the tradition here in Ecuador on the 24th) with Santi's mom who was here visiting us from Tulcan.

Well, about 5:00 pm, after having been out and around town with Santi and his mom for a few hours, I told Santi that I just had to lay down and take a nap. But I thought I'd throw the turkey and potatoes in the oven on a low temperature and lay down for some rest. In the end, all three of us laid down for a nap while turkey and potatoes were cooking.

Well, I was the first to get up because of the typical pregnancy syndrome of need to empty the bladder and when I went to get back into bed, I thought, oops! I guess I didn't get it all. It didn't take us long to realize that my water had broke! Then several moments of confusion - what do we do next!?!?! I hadn't even packed my suitcase yet (for those who really know me and my procrastination tendencies, I'm sure you're not surprised). Who do we call? When do we need to leave?

And then the "critical" question on my mind - what do I do with the turkey in the oven!?!?! Well, from the photos, you can see that we found a solution in the midst of everything. . . . the turkey & potatoes were cooked and about the time I got my suitcase packed and everything ready to go, the turkey was just ready for eating. So we quickly carved the turkey (froze most of it) and while standing in the kitchen we had our Christmas Eve dinner before running off to the hospital for Nathan's birth! I mostly just nibbled, but thankfully Santi and his mom were able to enjoy the delicious turkey and potatoes!

That was how we celebrated Christmas this year! We're hoping that next year will be different with a one-year old Nathan running around!

No comments: