Saturday, March 13, 2010

trying to keep up with it all . . .


As you all can tell from the lack of new posts, our blog somehow isn't making it to my priority list these days! The funny thing is, I write posts for our blogs all the time as I go throughout my day - the only problem is that I'm not sitting at my computer and by the time I am sitting at my computer, my mind is in a fog and I can't seem to remember what I thought about all day long . . . . I think it has something to do with trying to keep up with a 2 year old and a 6 month old.

But we love hearing from so many of you and we know that you're checking the blog from time to time. . . . so I will try to keep up with my end of the bargain and be more faithful at posting.

Nathan is a busy two year old (okay, he's always been a busy boy, but something about being two has made him even busier!). He is learning new vocabulary daily and repeats words that we say all the time. I sometimes feel like there is an echo in the house. He seems to be bi-lingual so far - understanding whatever we say in either English or Spanish. He likes to count to ten (mostly in Spanish) and his favorite word lately is "banana" - said with an accent on the very first syllable - which is funny considering that this is not how you say it in either language. I guess he had to add his own twist to the word.

We are also in throes of potty training with Nathan - some days are good, others are just plain bad. I keep reminding myself that this is a process and a season and it will end some day (hopefully before I pull out all my hair).

Isabella will be 6 months old on March 22. She is the sweetest little girl you have ever seen. I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom . . . she truly is really happy and smiley most of the time and isn't very demanding at all. We are working with starting her on rice cereal and she's doing great (as you can see by the photo below). The craziest thing that she does is waking up in the middle of the night to play in her crib. . . . she just plays, coos, giggles, and chews on her thumb. She doesn't cry, she's not hungry, she doesn't want out. She's just awake. She'll do this for about 1 - 2 hours and then eventually go back to bed. It's starting to drive mom crazy and we keep praying that she will grow out of this stage real soon!

Santi and I are busy with the details and preparations for our trip to the US on May 13 to visit supporting churches, friends and family. We look forward to the time visiting and sharing about what God is doing here in Ecuador. (we don't look forward to traveling with two little kids - sorry - just have to be honest about that!). We will be in California, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio, with all our weekends booked at our supporting churches - thank you everyone for allowing us to share!

It will be the first time in 14 years that Ruth has been in the US for the 4th of July! It'll be fun to see a real fireworks show! And Santi is excited about the possibility of visiting Cedar Point in OH with one of our friends (Ruth will not be joining him as she does not share his love of roller coasters!).

Here are some photos from recent days:

Nathan giving his sister a piggy-back ride


Isabella's first try at cereal! I think she likes it!


Nathan isn't always this gentle with Isabella

My silly boy with his baker's hat made at day care!



Play with cars . . . a boy's favorite past-time!

6 comments:

Katrina Custer said...

I can't believe Isabella is already going to be 6 months old! Thanks for the update. I'm going to be on home assignment this summer, too, though none of the states you mentioned. Hope the travel goes well!

Mandi! said...

yay! May is coming up quick =] Your kiddos are so fun- can't wait to meet them in person.
On a kids church note, are you speaking at CFL? And would it be appropriate for the 1st-3rd graders to sit in service & listen?
See ya soon~

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

What beautiful pictures of your kids! And I love your family portrait - you all look wonderful!

Ryan and Sandra said...

These pictures are SO much fun! Thanks for posting them... and it's always fun to hear about what you're up to on more of a daily basis. ;)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment! You have a beautiful family. God bless!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you were actually at your computer when you thought of something to blog. I LOVE the photos. I can't believe how much time has already flown by. Isabella will be talking when next I see her. They are both dolls. Janine