Thursday, March 27, 2008

Walking . . .

. . . with Nathan seems to be quite an adventure! Since the weather has gotten much better and Nathan has been off of oxygen during the day, we have been able to get out almost daily to take a walk which has been good for both of us.

Nathan loves his stroller and usually falls asleep. And I have decided to start bringing my camera along because it seems that we see so many interesting things during the walk in our neighborhood. Here are a few photos from this week!

Here we have Nathan in his stroller, all set to go!


GOATS - Yes, there is a family who brings their herd of goats through our neighborhood every day! Today, the lady was telling me that she had three baby goats at home that were just four days old. Did you know that the mama goat always has 3 baby goats at a time and that they have babies every 6 months? That was something I learned while talking and walking with the goat herder lady today.



MOUNTAINS - it seems that no matter where you go in the city of Quito, you are surrounded by the beautiful Andes mountains. Don't forget that Quito is at 9,300 ft. altitude, so the mountains you see are even higher than that!



TREES - this tree is rather unique. I have no idea what it is called. Maybe someone out there knows what kind of tree it is?


CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS - it seems that there is constant construction going on near our house. I thought this door was really unique - I had never seen one like it before. And the stack of pavers out front is interesting - I wonder how they will design their sidewalk when it's all done?


DRIVER'S ED - in the past year or two, Ecuador finally started a driver's education program. We are all very much relieved as it was very needed . . . any of you who have been here to Quito know how crazy the traffic is. I can't necessarily say that the required driver's education course is improving things, but we hope it is! This fleet of cars (there were actually six cars in all but I couldn't catch them all in one photo) descended upon us on Monday when we were taking our walk! For some reason, they like to use our neighborhood to practice.


AND FLOWERS - I couldn't resist taking photos of these pretty flowers! With a year round growing season here in Ecuador, we are very blessed to see flowers all the time! With all the rain we have had, they are out in abundance!



8 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss Ecuador so much! I can't wait to be there again this summer! Your little one is growing so fast! He is so precious! Can't wait to meet him too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruth, Interesting that Ecuador has finally decided to start a "Drivers Ed Class". Did you sign up yet, as I have drove with you, and have often wondered allowed if you've ever taken the course.LOL. Love you guys and looking forward to July.
bob & diane

The Wellspring said...

Hey Ruth - nice neighborhood tour! Those trees are called "bottle brush" but I'm certain that's not the scientific name!

The Arteagas said...

someone else mentioned that the tree might be a bottle brush tree too, so it must be indeed a bottle brush tree! Apparently they are prevalent in FL. I must admit that I'm horrible with specific names of plants and flowers. To me they are all "arboles"

Anonymous said...

The flowers are gorgeous. Since Ohio is just starting to see a few greens poking out of the ground (and snow still surrounding some areas), I'm really envious of your walks.
Ruth, I really laughed about the driver's ed! I thought the same as Bob and Diane... Who has to take the course? I guess you have to start somewhere.
I just want to cuddle Nathan and rub that cute little head. He's adorable. Praise God for his health.
Roni

The Arteagas said...

Yea-I'm sure many of you think I should be taking the driver's ed course myself! I would like to think I've become a better driver now that I have a little one in the car! Yea, Roni, Diane and Bob, you can laugh all you want!

We do enjoy the flowers here - we can never complain about the year-round growing season here.

Thanks for all your comments!
Ruth (Roni, I don't think I have your email address so I can't write you back)

The Arteagas said...

PS - I forgot to mention that I see all ages in the driver's ed cars as they drive around - elderly men/ladies, young people, middle-aged. It's interesting actually. It's a requirement now for anyone getting a driver's license for the first time. Renewals need to take a written test. They sell booklets on the street with 100 possible questions and their answers on it.

THE ISAZAS said...

I miss Quito!!!!! Wow, it's been too long since I've been in Ecuador. Looking at your pictures makes me anxious to get out of the city, and the cold winter weather in Chicago. Soon it will be spring...I have to keep reminding myself. Thanks for the pictures!